Tips for Unclogging Your Shower Drain
Are your feet under water before you can finish your shower? You likely have a clogged shower drain. Instead of resorting to chemicals that can corrode your pipes, call a professional or try these expert tips first.
Signs of a clogged shower drain
As mentioned above, your clogged drain may be quite obvious as water pools up around your feet while taking a shower. However, here are some other signs that you may have a clogged drain in your bathroom:
- Your shower (or tub) is slow to drain
- Gurgling sounds coming from the drain
- An unpleasant odor coming from the drains
- A pool of standing water around the drain hours after using the shower
Tips to try yourself
It is quite possible that you can fix your clogged drain by yourself. Here are some tips to follow to ensure it is done safely and effectively.
- Remove the drain screen (if you have one) to check for a simple hair clog or soap scum clog that you can remove by hand. For pop-up drains, raise it up and open it, then pull or unscrew it from the drain hole to check for near-surface clogs.
- Be careful when using a plumbing snake or bent wire to grab a clog that is further down your pipe. Using a bent wire incorrectly or too aggressively could cause damage to your pipes.
- Try plunging the drain using at least an inch or so of water in the bottom of the shower or tub. To do this, cover the holes of the overflow plate using a wet rag.
If you are unsuccessful at removing the clog by hand or with a few attempts at the plunger, it is best to call a professional plumber.
Remember that while it may be tempting to grab a gallon of chemical drain cleaner to fix your clogged drain, it may not be best for your plumbing system in the long run. Chemical cleaners can effectively clean a clogged drain. However, after several uses, it can damage your pipes. The chemical reaction that is used to break down a stubborn clog can produce heat and corrode your PVC plumbing pipes.
Need professional help with your clogged shower drain? Trust Metro Septic and Plumbing. We provide timely, affordable and knowledgeable assistance to all of your plumbing needs.
Posted on behalf of Metro Septic and Plumbing
Follow Us on Google+